Originating in Middle Eastern cuisine, kebabs are essentially grilled meat sticks, sometimes stacked with vegetables. In the United States, these skewers are easy and fun-to-eat meals that can be personalized with your choice of meat and veggies. You can even create dessert kebabs made with fruit, chocolate, and other sweets!
This recipe for Baked Chicken Kebabs takes a more traditional approach to kebabs, with chicken breast or thigh meat, yellow onions, bell peppers, and plenty of delicious marinade. Check out the recipe from A Dash of Megnut below.
• 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs (cut into 1-inch pieces)
• 2 large yellow onions (cut into large chunks)
• 3 bell peppers (cut into large 1-inch pieces)
• ½ cup avocado or olive oil
• 4 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley (chopped)
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon pepper
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder
• 12 wooden skewers (soaked in water overnight)
1. Soak 12 wooden skewers in water overnight so they don’t burn in the oven.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together avocado oil, lemon juice, parsley, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
3. Place chicken cubes in a large gallon-sized Ziploc bag. Pour marinade over the chicken and close the bag. With your hands, squish the chicken around to make sure it gets completely covered in the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but 4-6 hours being best.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Alternate the vegetables and chicken on the skewer, making about 12 skewers.
6. Place on two baking sheets lined with aluminum foil.
7. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping the skewers about halfway through. Check to make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through. You may need to cook for an additional 5-10 minutes depending on the size of your chicken chunks.
Mix up something scrumptious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by Midway Urban Village Apartments in Farmers Branch, Texas, and put our updated, fully equipped kitchens to good use!