Not sure what to make for dinner tonight? It can be difficult to make a decision after a long day – especially if you’ve got more than one mouth to feed. Luckily, there’s one recipe option that always holds up: Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. Tasty and inexpensive, this recipe uses several non-perishable items and spices to achieve a delicious Southwestern flavor.
Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
• 4 sweet potatoes
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1 teaspoon lime juice
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 cup finely diced red onion
• 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/4 teaspoon cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
• Avocado and cilantro, for topping
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Place the sweet potatoes on a lightly greased baking tray and bake for 55-65 minutes or until a fork can easily be inserted into the flesh of the potatoes.
2. When the sweet potatoes have about 10 minutes left, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and then add in the onion. Saute for 5 minutes until the onions begin to become translucent. Add in the spices stir and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
3. Add the black beans to the skillet and toss to combine. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the black beans are fully heated through. About 5 minutes. Take off of heat and set aside.
4. Once the sweet potatoes are done baking, let cool slightly. Once cool, cut the sweet potatoes open and shred the flesh from the skin so that the inside is mashed and easy to scoop out.
5. Evenly spread the black bean mixture, avocado, cilantro, and sour cream on top of the 4 sweet potatoes. Enjoy!
Mix-up something scrumptious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by Midway Urban Village Apartments in Farmers Branch, Texas, and put our updated, fully equipped kitchens to good use!